Friday, May 22, 2009

Agony of Defeat

Jen and I were in DC last week for a show. We were staying in the Suburbs because driving and parking our giant white panel van around town did not seem like a good idea. (I wanted to put a turban on and drive by the White House honking, Jen said no). Anyway we had to take the subway to get downtown and see the sights. We had dinner and took the train home. The train was packed with Washington Capitol fans returning from game 7 against the Penguins. It had been a great series with several overtime games and arguably the 2 best players in hockey. The Penguins killed them getting out to a 5-0 lead in the 2nd period. You have never seen such an angry, disconsolate group of people (outside of Kyle field) in your life. They were all in bright red Caps jerseys and hats. They were griping, moaning and cussing. I know how they felt.

Baltimore beating the Cowboys in the Superbowl. We were jobbed.
Texas beating the then #2 Ags in '75, getting a 17 point lead in 90 seconds. I am still PO'ed.
Plano beating Highland Park by 1 point in '78, when the Scotts had a 28 pt halftime lead. Plano went on to win the State championship. Bastards.
F***ing 49ers and Dwight F***ing Clark and Joe F***ing Montana in 1979. Danny White still almost won that game.
Romo fumbling the snap for a game winning chip shot field goal against Seattle. Dummy.

I had better stop. I am getting worked up. I know exactly how the poor Capitols fans feel.
I root for the Cowboys, Aggies, Rangers, and Mavericks.

3 comments:

  1. What about the Ice Bowl in 1967, when Vince Lombardi turned off the heating system on the field; or Super Bowl XIII, when the Cowboys lost to the Steelers by 4 points after Jackie Smith dropped a pass in the endzone; or the gold medal basketball game between US and Russia in 1972? These losses were BRUTAL. Oh my gosh, I still get heartburn thinking about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. North Carolina State over Phi Slamma Jamma when the gutless referees would not call a deliberate foul "deliberate. NCState being smart kept fouling and Houston kept bricking single free throws instead of getting the two shot foul. Plus Guy Lewis takes the most dynamic offense in the game and goes into a stall. Still makes me want to pull my hair out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I had forgotten about that. That was HORRIBLE! I saw Phi Slamma Jamma play the Aggies at G. Rollie. We all knew that the Aggies didn't have a chance but for once, we didn't care. The Cougars were just so fun to watch. They were GREATNESS.

    ReplyDelete