Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I Had a Dream

I always have loved team sports over individual sports, though of course I still enjoy watching golf, tennis, etc., so it may seem odd that my sports fantasy involves an individual sport. In my sports fantasy, I win the women's downhill in the winter Olympics. I am the fastest, strongest, bravest of them all. I am the female version of Franz Klammer, flying down an icy mountain on the very edge of disaster, making split second decisions, using every last measure of strength to hold my line, keep my tuck, stay on my feet. Just me and the mountain. Even the thought of it is exhilarating. I think Klammer's gold medal run in 1976 gave rise to this fantasy. Of all the fantastic games, matches, meets, bouts, and races that I have seen, that run remains the single most exciting event I have ever seen.

6 comments:

  1. I remember that clearly and it was incredibly exciting. That looked like so much fun and must be a huge adrenaline rush. For someone like me who cannot remain upright for even the length of his skis it seems impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just started a little late...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forget lsquared's dreams, dogs, and tigers, and return to football. To determine the greatest football game of all time, one must ask and answer two questions: (1) was UT involved; and (2) did UT win. If the answer to both are "yes," then the game is eligible to be considered. So, the greatest football game of all time was clearly the Jan. 4, 2006 Rose Bowl, when UT, rightfully, won the national championship. Vince Young's performance is the greatest single game performance of all time. He ran for 3 TD's and 267 yards (USC had 209 rushing) and he completed 30 of 40 passes for 200 yards. Most amazingly, he casually ran for a TD with 4:03 remaining in the game, and then after UT stopped USC on 4th down with 2:09 left in the game, Young simply did it again, running in from about 15 yards for the game winning TD with 19 seconds remaining. So, with all due respect (Ha!) to you Aggies, the greatest football game of all time, and probably forever, was the 2006 Rose Bowl, with the National Championship UT Longhorns prevailing, as they always should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I hate to admit it, that was a great game and Vince Young was thrilling to watch that day. But greatest game of all time? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't see that because I was probably watching cricket in India at the time. But I heard repeatdly what a great game it was. But then even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting that bbl jr mentioned blind "hog" in reference to great football games. This brings up another great game involving UT in which UT won.

    #1 UT defeants #2 Arkansas 15-14 when James Street hits Randy Peschel with 44 yard pass, followed by a Jim Berleson 2-year run for a TD. Texas takes the lead 15-14. Then Tom Campbell intercepts with 1:22 remaining to fininsh the victory.

    I watched this game on TV in Austin Texas in the Lobby of the girl's section of Jester Center Halls, the only TV I could get close enough to see.

    ReplyDelete