Thursday, June 4, 2009

You Throw Like a Girl

In a recent post about the Aggies winning the NCAA national championship in golf, my nephew-in-law innocently commented that perhaps, in a few years, his son would lead them to another. Actually, it was rather sweet of him, because he isn't an Aggie. But, when I read the comment, I thought: What about your daughters? Isn't it possible that one of them could lead the Aggies to a championship? And of course, I so commented. Sorry, Brett. I guess I have to admit that I am a bit touchy on this subject. In fact, one of the few times (maybe even the only time) that I ever got annoyed with Oxey was when he opined that the Nike commercial featuring girls saying "If they let me play sports..." was the stupidest commercial he'd ever seen. That remark just sent me over the edge...and it sent me over the edge because... THEY DIDN'T LET ME PLAY SPORTS! ("They" are not my parents, though I know my mom was perplexed by my choice of sports over ballet, or dolls, or any other "girlie" thing, and Santa never, ever gave me either the football or baseball glove that I asked for every year (after I was in college, my dad gave me a football for Christmas, finally!)). We had no little league, no soccer league, no organized sports of any kind for girls where I grew up, save the country club sports of tennis and golf (high school had girls tennis, golf, and swim teams). It wasn't deemed appropriate for girls to play team sports back then...it wasn't cool. But why? Shouldn't girls learn the same lessons from team sports that boys do? Wouldn't that be a good thing? Obviously, times have changed and all those old stereotypes have gone by the wayside (I hope). At least sports are available to girls now and the girls who play them aren't considered total weirdos anymore. I would have given my left nut....oh, wait a minute, I don't have a left nut...I guess that is the point. Anyway, I would have given a lot to have been able to play. So, to all you sports loving dads and moms out there: don't forget your daughters; don't forget to play catch with them; don't forget to coach their teams; don't forget to take them to games, read box scores, watch sportscenter, play flies and grounders, pick teams during March Madness, hit a bucket of balls at the driving range, chuck the football around the front yard, play horse,...don't forget your daughters.

10 comments:

  1. In Brett's defense, he didn't mention Izzy because we have cosen tennis for her. Jack gets golf, and Sophie gets to stay home and sit on mommy's lap forever because he won't let me have any more babies. And of course, this plan will last up until they are actually old enough to have ea say and decide they want to do something different. But we do fully intend to expose them all to all (non-judged) sports - they already kick a soccor ball back and forth or play "catch" with each other. And just yesterday Izzy informed me that when she is 6 she will be starting motocross (seriously. she actually said that). And judging by how much she likes to take down her brother she will be more than able to hang with the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My post was meant to be an apology to Brett for sort of overreacting to his comment. I know that he isn't the type of guy who would expect his daughters to be a cheerleaders rather than a players. By the way, I am not suggesting that girls (or boys, for that matter) should be pushed into sports by their parents. I just think they should be able to play if they want to. P.S. Even if they don't want to play sports, all children should be taught how to throw a ball properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you got you goot your football. I am still waiting for my Davy Crockett jacket with the tassels down the sleeve. I suppose I will give that up because if I put one on now I would look like a leather Christmas tree.
    The evolution of team sports for women has been terrific.
    I also agree with my daughter "no judged sports". Judged sports are always taken over by cliques and politicized. We have seen it in ice skating at the highest levels and in gymnastics at national levels. The judges for the most part could fill out the order of the finals before they ever set foot at the meet. It is disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also I should never have to bat against Burt Hooton.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A leather christmas tree! Ha ha ha ha....

    ReplyDelete
  6. No worries.....I only said Jack b/c it was men's golf in which they won the championship. In all seriousness......my daughters aren't allowed to leave the house unitl their 30th birthday, at which time they can pursue whatever sports they like......haaaaaaaaa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. bbl jr: whatever happened to Burt Hooton. Didn't he go to the big leagues?

    ReplyDelete
  8. he went to the big leagues and had a long career. Pitched a no hitter for the cubs his rookie year. Later pitching coach for the Astros and is coaching now for the astros farm team. He was un-hittable in college and a solid professional. I cannot believe it is possible to hit a Nolan Ryan or any of the great pitchers.

    ReplyDelete