Saturday, September 19, 2009

Hardee-har-har

My dad would be ashamed of me today because I am relishing USC's loss to Washington, thereby being a really bad sport. (Dad encouraged us to demonstrate good sportsmanship--graciousness in both victory and defeat, etc. Personally I prefer bbljr's definition, which he shared with me when I was a child: being a good sport means "don't cheat". As you might expect, graciousness sometimes wasn't apparent in bbljr's play.) I don't know why I despise USC but I most assuredly do. I'd be happy if they never, ever won another game in any sport. Sorry, Pop.



As I am writing this, Va Tech just beat Nebraska coming from behind in a last minute drive. Unbelievably exciting, though I was for Nebraska.



Now the serious business begins and I must start tracking the Ags. In less than an hour, the Texas-Tech game begins, so I'll being watching that, tracking the Aggies on the computer, and finishing a fantastic book called "The Match" (which I will post about after completion. I know you can't wait for that.)

5 comments:

  1. as usual you are correct lsquared.

    Yeah horns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way I remember it the Redskins were excepted from these rules and always and everywhere should be wished ill. (on the field)

    ReplyDelete
  3. bbljr: true, the Redskins were never entitled to goodsportsmanship, in large part thanks to George Allen. Also, my comments about your definition and your play were in no way a criticism. Hope you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all definitions of good sportmanship, and abhor cheating of any kind, even as a joke when it's obvious. And for the record, taking all of teh special "jump ahead" cards out of Candyland that also sometimes make you go backwards and therefore prolong the game endlessly, is not cheating. It's just taking all the excitement out of it - which doesn't really matter since holding the cards is Izzy's favorite part anyway.

    as a post script - Lsquared, your father may not approve of you celebrating someone's loss, but he would never be ashamed of you.

    ReplyDelete